June 4, 2012

Pretty Pennies Project

I love projects. Anything DIY-ish just makes me want to run around crafting, and today is no different. You may recall that a few days ago I went to the cemetery on Memorial Day and placed pennies on veterans graves. Before I did this, I thought it would a simple and nice gesture to take the time to clean them and make them shiny and new. It's a real simple and easy project and you can do it with the kids!


Here are my pennies, some are shiny, some are not, and some even have a few spots on them. What was fun about this little project was looking at all the different years on the pennies. They ranged anywhere from the early 1960's (I think I found one from 1961) to the current (2012). 

You'll need some white vinegar for this project, or I've read that you can use lemon juice, but I just didn't have that available. You will need to make sure it is white vinegar and not any other kind because white vinegar is a diluted form of acetic acid which reacts with the oxidized copper that forms on the coin's surface. (Source)

Pop your pennies in your glass, jar, bowl, or whatever you have laying around. I used these canning jars that I have sitting around and they work fabulous.


Add 1 teaspoon (you can add more, but this is what I used) of table salt to the water and mix your pennies, vinegar and salt around. Leave sitting for anywhere from 5-15 minutes. I left mine sitting for 5 minutes, but I think they could have been a little more shiny if I let them sit for longer.


Take them out and wash off with cold water and pat dry. There you go, you now have amazingly shiny pennies you can use for whatever you'd like! What do you like to use pennies for? 


2 comments:

  1. I love this! :) Used to do it all the time as a kid and have all but forgotten about this little trick!

    Pennies... I have a hard time using them, but when they're this shiny, I want to throw them in fountains and make wishes. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so much fun, I had totally forgotten about penny fountains, I remember there used to be one at the hospital my brother was born in. I loved seeing it (I was young when he was born prematurely and we were there often).

      Delete

Leave me a note!