June 26, 2012

Car Maintenance : Tire Pressure

This repost comes with permission from my dear friend Ashley at Engineering Homemaking, she has started a great series on car maintenance that I wanted to feature here at the Hollow. Ashley and I go way back, she attended the same church congregation that my grandparents did and we often spent time together as teens. Ashley is currently a nanny who is looking to start her family with her husband of three years. She graduated from Washington State University with a Bachelor of Science in Material Science and Engineering and wants to be a homemaker.


Now, there are lots of things I know and that I don't know, and haven't learned, but I realized while I was reading a blog post the other day that I needed to learn how to do these things, and it so happens it is something that everyone should know how to do....checking their tire pressure. Since I didn't know how to do it, I figured that their might be other women and out there who haven't done it either and might want a few pointers so that they can keep up their vehicle.


If you own or a drive a car, there are some basic things you need to know! The first item on the list of five basic car maintenance rules is to know how to check your tire pressure and changed a tire.

How To Check Your Tire Pressure

Step 1: Buy of these, a tire pressure gauge. They are really cheap, and work WAY better than the ones on the air dispenser.



Step 2: Check the tire pressure. Remove the valve stem cover. Put the gauge on the stem press slightly till you here the 'psst' sound. The end of the gauge should come out telling you the pressure.



Note: The pressure the tire should be inflated to is printed on the wall (side) of the tire.


Step 3: If needed fill the tire with compressed air. You can do it with a foot pump, like for a bicycle, but it will be really hard. Or you can go to your local gas station and fill up at there air and water station. Be sure to check the pressure every so often when filling as so to not over fill the tire.

Step 4: Replace the valve stem cover.

That is it! You won't even get dirty doing it.Here are a few things to know about your tires and the pressure:Under inflated tires will hurt your gas mileage, BUT over inflated tires can cause blow outs which are VERY DANGEROUS.Check your tire pressure when the tires are cold. In the morning before you drive anywhere is ideal.Tires will lose about a pound of pressure a month. Check tire pressure at every gas fill up.The tire pressure printed in your manual or on the inside of the door frame is WRONG! Go with the pressure on the tire.

---

Thanks again Ashley, your fabulous post on tire maintenance, I actually didn't know all of this and I'm going to start learning more about it so I can take care of my car! 

P.S. All pictures are property of Engineering Homemaking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a note!