February 27, 2012

Building An Identity

"Whatever life path we choose, building an identity is important. Contributing to society in a 


meaningful way, challenging ourselves, and being true to our core are ideal present in all


 feminist theory"

-Shannon Hayes, Radical Homemaking : Reclaiming Domesticity From a Consumer Culture, p. 5


     What is an identity? The online Merriam-Webster's dictionary defines it as, "the distinguishing character or personality of an individual. Growing up, I was told that as a woman, I should aspire to be a mother and that, "There is no role in life more essential and more eternal then that of motherhood" (Ballard). This was an identity that was put upon me without my responsible and adult consent due to the religion I was raised in. The thought of living my life to this one and only purpose, was and is something that terrifies me. I did not want motherhood to be my only defining feature. 




     I am a wife. I am an artist. I am a sister. I am a friend. I am a cook. I am a homemaker. I am a student. I am a teacher. I am a mother (to my lovely little Maybe baby). I am anything and nothing. I can choose what I want to be to define myself. To me, that is what is so wonderful about this choice. I do not have to be all these things at once nor do they have to be my only life path. 

At this time and place in my life, I am a wife, I am a homemaker/homesteader, I am a student and so many things. To encapsulate it all at this moment in time, I think the words radical homemaker describe who I am to the world and to myself.
---

Ballard, M. R. (n.d.). Daughters of god. Retrieved from http://www.lds.org/general-conference/2008/04/daughters-of-god?lang=eng&query=motherhood

2 comments:

Leave me a note!