September 12, 2011

Greek Festival

Greek Festival.

What does that bring to mind? Now that I've had the chance to attend one, it brings to mind the sounds of the bouzouki, gyros and loud and loving people.

This past week, I was able to attend the local Greek festival at St. Sophia's Greek Orthodox Church here in Bellingham. It was a blast and I learned a lot about the differences between my culture and the Greek culture. 







During the festival, you bought tokens and used those to pay for anything that was benig sold; which I thought was a very ingenious idea. They were being sold in $1, $2, $5, and $10 increments.


The art style in the Greek Orthodox Church is very stylistic, and you will always see beautiful icons around any orthodox churches.






And here are a few more photos of the inside of the church.





I'd recommend anyone to go to their local Greek (or other ethnic) Festivals. You can gain some knowledge while enjoying great food and music.


-----

10 comments:

  1. ohhhhh goodness I love Greek festivals....mostly the food of course!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martina, it was my very first one and I loved it. Unfortunately, I am allergic to everything under the sun, so the only food I was able to have was the rice with a lemon sauce! The food looked delicious though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful church, Becky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never attended and Greek festival but I just might have to go. I see the festivals advertised on the local TV here. It seems like most of our Greek Churches (? - is that the correct name) are in Cincinnati.

    Oh and your photos are gorgeous! simply gorgeous!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful artwork, and it really looks like it was a good time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Pradeepa, thank you.

    @Shari, I believe they would be called Greek Orthodox Churches. And thank you!

    @Teresa, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such fun pictures!! Thanks SO much for linking up!! ;) Hope to see you again next Sunday!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note!