August 6, 2011

How to Change Your Life

Q : Talk about the book that most changed or influenced your life.

A: Almost every single book I've ever read has changed and influenced my life in some way or another. There is one, that changed my life significantly and brought me to where I am now.


Some of my readers may know that I was raised in a conservative-Christian sect and that the Bible and other books were literally the "Word of God." At the time that I picked up this book, I had already started doubting certain parts of my religion, but I wasn't fully ready to let it go quite yet. 

This book is written by a man who has extensive experience and research in the New Testament and early Christian history.  He talks about how the sayings of Jesus are actually misquoted in the Bible and backs it up with contemporary sources of the time. 

After reading this book (and others by Bart Ehrman), it helped me to solidify what I did and didn't actually believe. I found that I didn't believe in the traditional Christian God any longer and that my views were much different then I was brought up with.  Admitting this, I was able to move forward and start a whole new life of believing. 

Now, I know admitting that I'm a non-Christian in the blogging world isn't always the most popular move, but I made a promise to myself that I would never hide who I am. 
And if you want to know more about Bart Ehrman, I've blogged about him before at A Glass of Wine and a Chat.

2 comments:

  1. Hello!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. Interesting book! My husband is a truth seeker. I'll have to tell him about this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for coming by my blog! :)

    I bet your DH would love this book. Anything by Bart Ehrman is well worth the read!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note!