July 27, 2011

Yes, they're natural 20's

Source


The joke within the above t-shirt might not be all that apparent to most of you, but if you have ever played Dungeon's & Dragons, you won't have to think twice. 

-----

Growing up, whenever I heard D&D, my mind sort of shut down and I ignored whatever came after those letters. To me it was a "geek" or "nerd" game and I wanted nothing to do with it. Now, I'm in my mid-twenties and realize it is a lot more then I thought it was. 
----

Last month when we went on our vacation to visit my family, M started playing D&D with my brothers R & D. Curious about what it actually was, I sat in to see what was so interesting. While sitting in, I found myself entertained and wanting to play. After expressing interest, my brothers and husband thought it would be great and integrated me into the game. Since we live so far apart, it is hard to play face-to-face, so we use the lovely technology of Skype to help us out. A couple of a times a week, we get online and play for a few hours. 

-----







 ----

What do you do when your siblings are so far away? How do you keep in touch with them? What do you do to maintain a good relationship?

6 comments:

  1. Blogging and facebook have helped a lot. I also text and call two of my four siblings pretty often.

    Goodreads.com has been good too. I love to read, as does one of my brothers. We disagree on almost everything. He's very conservative republican. I'm pretty liberal, and our book choices reflect how different we are. I like reading his reviews on books - it would be hard to have a good dialogue, because we are so different, and I also love hearing his thoughts and opinions. (He's said the same thing about my book reviews.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't have any siblings and I struggle to help my sons get along...they are so different from each other it seems they just fight. Sigh...

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Saretta, I cannot tell you how often I fought with my siblings as a child. Thank goodness, we all (well, most of us) grow out of it! It's hard when each sibling has their own particular interests and personalities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Jen, my brother is pretty conservative as well, but I've found that since we've found something we both can have interest in it has brought us really close.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my (now-)husband and I first started dating, we were in a long-distance relationship. The 250-odd miles felt really short when we watched "24" in our respective cities, actually! We'd tune in at 9pm, excitedly watch a portion, then call each other over commercials to discuss and did a really quick "BYE I LOVE YOU" when it came back on. It was small, and it was only an hour... but those nights were our "24" nights. ;)

    My siblings and I have stuck together through the power of music. Each of us is a musician (I play violin, my sister plays flute, my brother plays trumpet), and we'd call or Facebook or text each other about our musical endeavors. It's a wonderful way to stay in touch and close, even through the distance! (I live about 1000 miles from my family now.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Coexist Cafe, that is so wonderful to hear. Growing up me and my siblings defintley were not close, but I feel we are getting better and better now.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note!