July 11, 2011

What was your first sewing project?

Can you remember your first sewing project? The first memory (not the first project) that came to mind is this little meditations quilt that I put together at my Grandmother's house during the summer of my junior year. 



As you can see, there is a bowl-size denim patch in the middle of this little quilt. There is actually a funny story (depends how you see it) behind it.

I used to use it as a covering for a hideous nightstand that I had while we still lived in Idaho, I used to put things on top of it and one of those things was a candle in a dollar-bowl from Wal-Mart. 

I had left the room for quite sometime and when I came back, the bowl, candle and quilt was on fire. Oops! The denim patch was a quick little fix and it's grown to be part of my meditation quilt.

-----
 So what was your first sewing project? Do you still have it? Please share it with us!
-----
Thank you to 2 little hooligans for this great idea!

6 comments:

  1. oh this is great! thanks for sharing:) oh funny is that story and glad that you still use your first sewn project too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't remember what came first, a cross stitch bib (because that is what I could find that had everything I needed including instructions) or a rag quilt when I was 16 or 17. I am sure the bib is stored away somewhere because I totally thought I'd use it for a child (no way would I now that I have children- plus this is back when it was still ok to have ties on things apparently), but the quilt is around, I should take a picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks @ 2littlehooligans.

    I love this little meditation quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Lindsey, I'd love to see pictures of that quilt! I bet it looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have a great talent Becky! Unfortunately I don't have a first sewing project because I was never any good at sewing. :P But I love homemade quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lari! I don't think I'm any good, but I loved this one.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note!