July 9, 2011

Lazy Days

What a gorgeous Saturday! 

Today (and yesterday) were food-creating days. 

My husband and I had the chance to visit my wonderful in-laws about a week ago and my inventive and compassionate mother-in-law decide (because of my food allergies) to make some dishes from scratch and she came across the website Living Free.

Living Free is a dairy, gluten and sugar free blog/website dedicated to providing delicious recipes that are free of those previously mentioned items. So, while looking at it, I was able to find this No Bake Strawberry Cream Pie.

I decided to give it a try, and here is the result



It actually turned out rather well, but there are a few bits and pieces that I would improve on, I'd add a couple extra strawberries to the mix and chop up the peanuts a bit more, but for someone with multiple allergies, it was something that I rather enjoyed.
Strawberry Cream Pie 
(Taken from Living Free)

20-30 large ripe strawberries

3-5 small ripe bananas

1 tsp pure vanilla extract

1 tsp liquid stevia
1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond milk

1 pack gelatin
3/4 cups raw or roasted (unsalted) peanuts, chopped
Directions
In a blender, add the four large strawberries, bananas, almond milk, vanilla extract and stevia, blend well until smooth.
***
 While the blender is on, slowly add the powdered gelatin. Blend for an additional one-to-two minutes. 
***
 Pour the mixture into a sauce plan and cook on low heat for about ten minutes.
***
In a medium pie pan, add the chopped peanuts. Make sure they are evenly distributed along the bottom of the pan. 
***
 After washing the remaining strawberries, remove the stems and then slice them in half.
***
Lay the strawberries along the edge of the crust with the sliced side facing out.
***
Finally, pour the fruit mix into the pie pan.
***
 Put this into the fridge and let cool for about 2 hours. 
***
Always keep the pie cool, as it will loose it’s firm texture if it’s not chilled.
***

I also subscribe to another blog called 2 little hooligans which had an amazing recipe today, Strawberry Lemonade. This is something that I've never done before but thought I'd try it out.


Here is my final product. I actually tried it out and it turned out really well. I plan to make more and freeze it for the winter.



4 comments:

  1. Becky - thanks so much for trying out my pie recipe! I like your take on it and your version looks really tasty! I definitely enjoyed mine - so much so that it was a challenge to share it with friends :) ~Aubree

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah!! how i love seeing canning jars in a freezer! so glad you tried it and love it too:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Aubree.

    Thank you for stopping by! I was a little nervous in trying it because I've come across recipes that didn't work for me before, but it was really good and I plan on making it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @2 littlehooligans

    Thanks you! I love, love, love juice and so this concentrate was something that was perfect for me!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note!