July 23, 2011

A Glass of Wine and a Chat

Question : Name three authors that you would love to sit down and spend and hour or a meal with just talking about either their books or get advice on writing from?


 Answer: There are so many authors out there that it was difficult for me to pick just three authors. The authors that I finally settled upon, I chose because they have had the most affect upon my life.

------


     This woman is beyond words and beyond amazing. Her three books (Cunt : A Declaration of Independence, Rose : Love in Violent Times and Autobiography of a Blue-Eyed Devil) have changed my life. I first came across her work while perusing a used book store in town. As I was looking through the feminist literature, a title with bright lettering and colors caught my eye, that book happened to be Cunt. Even though I knew this was a 'forbidden' word and that I would either hate or love the book, I knew I had to have it. I bought the book and took it home, only to devour it within a few days. After reading her words and seeing how much they opened my world up, I knew I had to have more.
If you haven't (or have) been following my blog, you'll know that I've posted about Inga before.


    This one was a difficult choice, but I ended up choosing Bart Ehrman because of how his writing has changed my beliefs. Professor Ehrman has written books such as Jesus, Interrupted; Misquoting Jesus and blankety blank blank blank. These books focus on what is fact-and-fiction about the Bible and Christian history that we don't always here. The books are a bit heavy, but they helped to change my perspective and see things from a different view. Though my beliefs are different now because of the door these books opened, I wouldn't change it for the world.


      What an incredible woman. Julia Butterfly Hill started out her life like anyone else. Normal and unnoticed. After visiting some friends near a logging site, she did something that would change the world and her life. Many of you may remember Ms. Hill as the woman who lived in a giant redwood tree (lovingly called Luna) for two years. Her words describe the beauty and splendor of nature and speak about how we must save it and do our best to protect it. Whenever I read what she has written, I feel the love and compassion she has for all beings.



7 comments:

  1. I can't wait until we are in the Pacific Northwest and you and I can chat about our favorite books over a glass of wine. I'm definitely in need of reading Ms. Musico's work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me either! That would be an amazing meeting of two souls. :) It would be so awesome if you could live close to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky! Thanks for visiting my Follow Friday post! I'm now following you back. :D

    Great picks, by the way!

    Hope you're having a great weekend!

    Sophie @ lifebetweenpages.net

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sophie! Thank you for coming on over here. It's nice to have new people comment, it absolutely makes my day!

    And thank you, I am having a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd love to check out a book by Hill. I love how all your picks are about opening your view on life. Thanks for checking out my blog too!

    Preet
    A Written Rhapsody

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Preet, thanks for stopping by! That's what I appreciate about non-fiction, it opens so many doors for me. :)

    And I'd recommend the book by Julia Butterfly Hill to ANYONE! I love her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, this cracks me up, cause I put blankety blank in for a book I was going to write and forgot! :p

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note!