June 27, 2011

What the *@$%!#

Oh Becky, Oh Becky.

You will never believe where you are now. I cannot tell you all the details, because I fully believe in making your own choices without influences, but it will be the hardest, happiest, craziest, saddest, best eleven years of your life so far, so you better buckle your seat-belt.

Remember how you were afraid that you'd always be alone? Those lonely nights in high school were you NEVER had a date and single guy never asked you out? Don't worry, those don't last for long. Those high school boys were immature and stupid anyways. Don't mope for too long, you'll realize that college-boys are where it's at. ;)

For years you wandered around, trying to fit out where you fit in. The preps, the goths, the bad-girl, the band geek and who knows what else. Hate to break it to you, but you will never be in any of those categories, you'll be in your very own and no matter how hard that is, it'll be the best category of them all because it is yours.

You'll never be the greatest singer, the greatest piano player or the greatest seamstress. What you will be is the greatest friend, the greatest wife, the greatest daughter and a person who is willing to stick close to her friends, stick up for the little guy and spread compassion and love.

You remember what you were thinking about god, faith and the church at 14? Keep thinking that. Keep it in your head. It's important you never let those thoughts go. No matter how far you get into it and how lost you get, you'll find your way out. It'll be a difficult journey, a frustrating and angry one and yes, you'll even lose friends, but in the end, it will open up a whole new world to you that you can never imagine.

You are worth it, and at times that may be hard to remember or even understand, but don't let anyone, person, place or organization tell you differently. You show them who you are and you don't shut up until they know you are you and you are here to stay.

Try everything, if even only once, because you'll never be satisfied if you don't, but be smart about it. Enjoy your experiences and even if you look back with horror at times, never regret them because at one time in your life, that decision was exactly what you wanted. 

Love your family. I know they annoy the hell out of you at times, but guess what, you annoy the hell out of them as well! Love them, care for them and don't judge them. There will be times that you don't quite understand them, but in the end, they are all you have.

Be strong. Be brave. Be loud. Don't ever let anyone tell you differently. You were born to be proud and loud and that is what you are. Beautifully loud and proud of it. 

And just enjoy the next eleven years, it's a blast and you'll never see it coming.

Love, me

----

Idea stolen from Fond of Blonde's post here, who took it from The Lightning and the Lightning Bug's prompt, These Shoes Were Made for Talking.


7 comments:

  1. Great letter. Here's to the next 11 years bringing more unfolding happiness and self discovery :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a wonderful blog post, Becky! I love your creativity, your honesty, your simplicity and depth. I know I tell you this way too often, but you are amazing and I love you! I have hitched my wagon to your brightly shining star. Thanks for being one of my favorite guiding lights!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you both for your wonder kindness and love to me. I cannot believe I have such wonderful friends!

    I'm looking forward to the next eleven years and what they will bring. Who knows? But I'm excited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becky- I love reading your blog. You are truly a wonderful person and I think this post describes your sweet nature. Thank you for being so open and for sharing this with everyone here. I feel like I got the opportunity to get to know you a little better by reading this.

    Also, I thought the title was funny because it threw me off from the content of the letter. haha

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome Becky! What a beautiful message. I'm swinging back by from L&LB. Thanks for sharing and for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great letter, Becky! Don't you wish this was real and we really COULD see these letters from ourselves at 16? I wonder if we would have been impacted by it, or still felt/lived the same.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome!! Such an uplifting and positive letter. I loved this part:

    Hate to break it to you, but you will never be in any of those categories, you'll be in your very own and no matter how hard that is, it'll be the best category of them all because it is yours.

    And isn't that just AMAZING!?

    Nice letter...thanks for linking up with The Lightning Bugs!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note!