June 16, 2011

Tattoos for a Thursday

"A tattoo is a true poetic creation, and is always more than meets the eye.  As a tattoo is grounded on living skin, so its essence emotes a poignancy unique to the mortal human condition."  ~V. Vale and Andrea Juno, Modern Primitives

When I was a little girl and I would see people with tattoo's I would always wonder about them and why they had them. The designs, twisting and snaking their bodies and telling untold stories to those who happen to glance at them.

It was told to me that tattoos would make me unclean and sinful as a child and I was never allowed to even entertain the thought of having one. As an adult, I made decisions for myself and saw how beautiful they were and how each one told a story to the wearer and the seer of them.

These are my stories......

Last year was an incredibly tough and difficult year for me. I dealt with leaving the faith and church that I had grown up in and there spiritual, psychological and emotional effects of it all. I felt lost and adrift in a sea and not understanding where I would go next. At the time I was seeing a wonderful massage therapist who was also adept in energy readings. We talked a lot about what was going on in my life a the time.

She spent time discussing my feminine side and my masculine side and how in all beings, that they need to be balanced. This really struck a chord with me and I let it sit for several months. At the time, I had been thinking about getting a tattoo but had an issue with something being on my skin forever.

When my massage therapist brought up the idea of exploring my feminine and masculine sides, it was something that I decided to do some more research into. In my research I found out that the left side of the body represented the feminine side of a person, it represented the night, water, the moon. In looking at the right side, it represents masculinity, fire, the sun and the day.

The more I read about this, the more I realized how I wanted something in my life that reminded me of these two very important parts of me. While researching symbols I kept seeing the sun and moon jump out at me, over and over again. To be sure, I had a sun symbol put on my wrist with henna, it stayed for about four weeks.

It was late last July when I went into Industry Tattoo here in Bellingham and spent almost two hours in the chair. I will never regret these and to date, they are still my favourite.

 -------


This is the second tattoo that I had inscribed on my skin. Many people cannot quite figure out what it is. I have gotten bicycle, balloons or people. To clear, it is none of those. Simply, it my sister's nickname, "Aimee Bear."   

This one is so simplistically beautiful to me. It represents my sister and who is to me. Last summer, I went down Utah and surprised my family with a visit. I told my sister that I wanted her to design my tattoo for me, and this is what she came up with. This represents that she will be there with me always.

----


This is the most recent one that I have. It is located on my ring finger on my left hand. This last winter,  my in-laws gave me a gift card for books, and with that gift card, I was able to purchase a book called All About Trees. In this book, I read a chapter on cherry blossoms, in which they described it as the symbol of eternal love. 

For months at this time, I knew I wanted a tattoo that represented my love for my husband. I thought about dates, symbols, names, etc., nothing came to mind. I knew as soon as read that passage that this was what I was going to get.

----

Do you have any tattoos? Do you have a favourite? What are the stories behind yours?

2 comments:

  1. Though I wouldn't get a tattoo on myself, I do think they are beautiful on other people, and as you know, in my religion they are looked at as ugly. But I do think they are a beautiful form of art and a way of expressing yourself, and yours and what they represent are beautiful! I love the one for your sister. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Jennie. <3

    It is nice to hear that someone thinks they are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Leave me a note!